world news Holidaymakers warned to check travel advice on medicines
Holidaymakers are being warned to test the principles on carrying medicines overseas to keep away from falling foul of native legal guidelines.
The Overseas and Commonwealth Workplace (FCO) mentioned some commonly-prescribed medicines had been “managed medicine” in sure nations.
In Japan, some chilly treatments are banned whereas some sleeping tablets require a licence in Singapore.
Travellers might danger a nice and even imprisonment in the event that they break the principles, the FCO mentioned.
The Overseas Workplace mentioned it was gaining popularity to journey to nations additional afield.
However in accordance with a survey of two,000 adults within the UK, solely 33% of them would search recommendation on medicine guidelines earlier than they journey.
Almost half the inhabitants of the UK is on prescribed medicine, that means that round 21 million folks may very well be risking difficulties.
Banned in Japan
Remedy containing pseudoephedrine – present in over-the-counter medicines like Sudafed and Vicks – is banned in Japan.
And in Qatar, over-the-counter medicines resembling chilly and cough treatments are managed substances and should be accompanied by a prescription.
Diazepam, Tramadol, codeine and plenty of different commonly-prescribed medicines rely as “managed medicine” so the recommendation is to test the rules within the nation you want to go to,
Failing to conform might lead to arrest, a nice or imprisonment in lots of nations, together with Greece and the UAE.
Different notable restrictions embody:
- sleeping tablets, anti-anxiety tablets and powerful painkillers require a licence in Singapore
- Costa Rica and China require guests to deliver a health care provider’s be aware with their prescribed medicine
- in Costa Rica, it’s best to solely take sufficient medicine for the size of your keep, with a health care provider’s be aware to verify that that is the correct quantity
- in Indonesia, many prescription medicines resembling codeine, sleeping tablets and coverings for ADHD are unlawful
- vacationers ought to at all times carry a health care provider’s be aware with any private medication when visiting China
The FCO mentioned anybody travelling this summer time ought to go to their GP not less than 4 to 6 weeks earlier than their vacation to test if any of their prescribed medicine contained “managed medicine” resembling codeine.
Nations resembling India, Pakistan and Turkey have an inventory of medicines they won’t enable into the nation.
The FCO recommends contacting the embassy, excessive fee or consulate within the UK of the nation you are travelling to for recommendation on the authorized standing of particular medicines.
The gov.uk website has a full checklist of international embassies within the UK.
Ideas for travelling with medication:
- carry medicines (together with these purchased over-the-counter) of their accurately labelled container, as issued by the pharmacist, in hand baggage
- take into account packing a spare provide of medicine within the maintain baggage in case of lack of hand baggage
- a letter from the prescriber detailing the medicines with the generic names for the medicines may be useful for border management checks, and in case medicines have to get replaced or medical assistance is required
- carry a be aware from the prescribing doctor on letterhead stationary for managed substances and injection medicines
- take out an acceptable degree of journey medical health insurance together with repatriation and particular cowl for any pre-existing diseases