the opposition calls for the resignation of Elisabeth Borne
All second round results
Emmanuel Macron’s camp won 245 seats after the legislative elections on Sunday, below an absolute majority (289), followed by Nupes and its allies with 131 seats and the RN which made a historic breakthrough with 89 seats. LR wins 61 seats and its ally UDI three, against a hundred in the previous legislature.
>> What is the name of your deputy? Find all the results
8:52 am: Christian Jacob pushes Laurent Wauquiez towards the presidency of the party
“I have always considered that Laurent Wauquiez had all the qualities to take over the presidency of the party”, indicates the president of the Republicans, questioned on France Inter as to the personality who could succeed him. Laurent Wauquiez has already chaired the Republicans between 2017 and 2019.
8:49 am: « La Nupes exploded last night », estimates Sébastien Chenu
The deputy from the North comments on the refusal of the PS, the PC and the EELV to form a single Nupes group with LFI in the National Assembly. « La Nupes exploded last night, » said Sébastien Chenu, guest of LCI. Mr. Mélenchon wanted to twist the arm of his allies by suffocating them within a group that LFI would have dominated. »
8:42 a.m.: “On the march to the National Assembly, it will be headless ducks”, laughs Rachida Dati
The mayor of the 7th arrondissement of Paris comments on the results of the legislative elections, which give the Republicans the role of auxiliary force in the Hemicycle. “France is on the right, I am not telling you that it is LR, analyzes Rachida Dati at the microphone of BFM TV. We don’t want chaos, we are the party of order. On the march to the National Assembly, it will be headless ducks and the others, hotheads. And we have our heads on our shoulders. »
8:39 am: “Emmanuel Macron will have to learn to confront the ideas of others” rejoices Olivier Faure
For the first secretary of the Socialist Party, Emmanuel Macron « cannot do us the trick of ‘the country is blocked, they are the bad guys' ». According to Olivier Faure, in this configuration where he no longer has an absolute majority in the National Assembly, the Head of State “will have to learn to confront the ideas of others”.
8:37 am: Olivier Faudra will tell Emmanuel Macron « that the country is doing badly, is angry but that it is not blocked »
Invited by Emmanuel Macron with the other party leaders this morning at 10 a.m., Olivier Faure indicates on Franceinfo what he intends to say to the Head of State. “To say that the country is going badly, is angry but that it is not blocked, indicates the first secretary of the Socialist Party. There are possible policies. If he wants to place the minimum wage at €1,500, revalue retirement pensions, we will be there. » On pensions, » we can not accept a revaluation that would be lower than inflation, » says Olivier Faure.
8:33 am: Christian Jacob confirms his opposition to a government pact with Macronie
The President of the Republicans defends at the microphone of France Inter the decision taken on Monday by the political bureau of the party to refuse to sign a government pact with the presidential coalition, for which certain members of the LR plead. “The answer will not be in tricks and shenanigans, justifies Christian Jacob. […] That’s not the line we took. Those who trusted us did not elect us to be in Emmanuel Macron’s government »
8:29 a.m .: « We are not going to seek to mess up political life », assures Sébastien Chenu
On LCI, Sébastien Chenu is questioned about what Marine Le Pen intends to say this morning to Emmanuel Macron during the meeting of party leaders. “Marine Le Pen is going to tell Emmanuel Macron that we are going to play the game of the institutions, we are not going to seek to transform the Assembly into a Zad or a squat, to mess up political life but we want to be respected in return”, indicates the deputy from the North. According to him, “we will make ourselves heard, but not through heckling, through work”.
8:10 am: Some workers and employees elected deputies, but no revolution in the National Assembly
The deputies remain mainly from executives, intermediate professions and higher intellectual professions. However, this is the first time in a long time that so many workers have been elected deputies. Read our article.
8:02 am: Fabien Roussel « does not understand much » the LFI censure motion against the government
La France insoumis has announced that it wants to file a motion of censure against the government on July 5 to obtain the departure of Elisabeth Borne. Fabien Roussel indicates on RTL that neither he nor Olivier Faure were consulted before this declaration. « I do not understand why there is this motion of censure insofar as at the end of a general policy speech, there is a vote submitted to the Assembly […] and if in the speech of general policy there is nothing, well we will vote against this speech, there is no need for a motion of censure, that’s all”, justifies the deputy from the North.
7:50 a.m.: “We also have differences which are our wealth”, replies Fabien Roussel to the idea of a Nupes group
The deputy of the North and national secretary of the Communist Party hammers at the microphone of RTL his opposition to the will of Jean-Luc Mélenchon to have a single group of Nupes in the National Assembly. « We made an electoral agreement which allowed us to more than double the number of left-wing and environmental MPs, so it’s a good thing, however this agreement also recognized the differences we have with each other », emphasizes Fabien Roussel. “There is not a single party, not a single group, he insists. We also have differences which are our wealth, and we have to know how to preserve it otherwise the voters will not understand. »
7:25 am: It’s the end of the Republican Front
Gone are the days when parties called for « blocking » the far right. The National Rally benefited from the ambiguity created by the majority, which staged its fight against the far right and the far left at the same time. Read our article.
7:20 am: Eric Coquerel justifies Jean-Luc Mélenchon’s desire to have a single Nupes group in the Assembly
On Monday, Jean-Luc Mélenchon pleaded for the four Nupes parties to form a single group in the National Assembly. Proposal refused in stride by the Greens, the Socialists and the Communists. « It was to adapt to a situation where we have a stronger RN than we imagined, with nearly 90 deputies and above all a government which plays with that, which obviously prefers to have the RN as the first opponent », explains the rebellious deputy from Seine-Saint-Denis at the microphone of Franceinfo, denying any « takeover attempt ».
7:10 am: The opposition calls for the resignation of Elisabeth Borne
In the aftermath of the rout of the presidential party in the legislative elections, several political figures called on Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne to resign. « I do not see how Elisabeth Borne can remain at the head of Matignon », declared the president of the RN, Jordan Bardella. « Elisabeth Borne is not in a condition to govern, this government is discredited by the ballot box and it is a real slap in the face for macronie », judged Adrien Quatennens, the coordinator of France Insoumise. The left does not rule out filing a motion of censure on July 5, during the declaration of general policy.
The unfortunate LR presidential candidate, Valérie Pécresse, also felt that Macron had to change « Prime Minister and government ».
The new ambitions of Marine Le Pen
With its 89 deputies, Marine Le Pen claims the finance committee, and a vice-presidency of the Assembly for the RN. The future president of the frontist group is aiming for the place of first opponent to Emmanuel Macron, betting on a break-up of the Nupes. Analysis to read here.
7:05 am: Emmanuel Macron will receive the party leaders at the Elysée
Emmanuel Macron, who has not spoken since the result of the legislative elections, invited the political forces intended to form a group at the Assembly at the Elysée. The objective of these meetings is to “dialogue and exchange for the higher interest of the Nation and to build solutions in the service of the French”, according to the entourage of the Head of State.
Christian Jacob (LR), Olivier Faure (PS), Fabien Roussel (PCF) and Julien Bayou (EELV) have so far accepted the invitation.
>> Read more information here.
- At 7:30 a.m., on Public Sénat, Sophie Taillé-Polian, environmental senator from Val-de-Marne, national coordinator Génération.s, Nupes deputy from Val-de-Marne
- At 7:38 a.m., on France 2, Edwige Diaz, deputy for Gironde RN and Louis Boyard, NUPES deputy for Val-de-Marne.
- At 7:40 am, on RTL, Fabien Roussel, national secretary of the Communist Party.
- At 7:45 a.m., on Radio J, Benjamin Lucas, Nupes deputy for the 8th district of Yvelines.
- At 8 a.m., on Public Sénat, François-Xavier Bellamy, MEP LR.
- At 8:10 a.m. on France 2, Marlène Schiappa, former minister.
- At 8:15 a.m., on Sud Radio, Annie Genevard, LR deputy for Doubs, vice-president of the Republicans and vice-president of the AN.
- At 8:15 a.m. on BFM Business, Jean-Louis Bourlanges, Modem deputy for Hauts-de-Seine.
- At 8:30 a.m., on LCI, Sébastien Chenu, RN deputy from the North, spokesperson for the National Rally.
- At 8:30 a.m., on RMC / BFMTV, Rachida Dati, mayor of the 7th arrondissement of Paris.
- At 8:30 am, on France Info, Olivier Faure, secretary of the socialist party.
7:03 am: Negotiations, coalitions… when France discovers European-style democracy
Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy… most of our neighbors function thanks to large coalitions, often formed in pain. The absolute majority under presidential leadership is rather a French exception. France will therefore have to adapt and model itself on its neighbours. Our article to read here.
What to remember from Monday
- Several personalities are calling on Elisabeth Borne to leave her post as Prime Minister: Alexis Corbière, Mathilde Panot, Valérie Pécresse, Adrien Quatennens, Jordan Bardella…
- Government spokeswoman Olivia Grégoire dismissed the idea of dissolving the National Assembly.
- Marine Le Pen has confirmed that she will not take over the presidency of the National Rally, in order to devote herself to the presidency of the RN group in the Assembly.
- Rassemblement national and Nupes claim the presidency of the Finance Commission, reserved for the first opposition group in the National Assembly.
- Emmanuel Macron received at the Elysee Palace Elisabeth Borne, Edouard Philippe and François Bayrou to examine the consequences of the loss of the absolute majority.
- Nicolas Dupont-Aignan should not join the RN group in the Assembly.
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon proposed that the Nupes constitute “a single single opposition group in the National Assembly”. A proposal rejected by its partners of the PS, the PCF and EELV.
- Following a Strategic Council, LR opts for independence. There is no question « neither of a pact, nor of a coalition or of an agreement of any kind whatsoever », affirmed the president of the Republicans Christian Jacob.
- Barbara Pompili “reflects” on the presidency of the Assembly.
- Laurent Jacobelli, spokesperson for the RN, assured that his party wanted to « work with those who share our values ».
- In a column published in Le Monde, 188 women demand the resignation of Damien Abad, accused of sexual violence.
- Jordan Bardella indicated that the RN could vote for certain measures of the majority if they serve the interest of the French, taking as an example the reindexing of retirement pensions.
- Tuesday’s cabinet meeting has been cancelled. Emmanuel Macron invited the political forces of the Assembly to the Elysee Palace on Tuesday and Wednesday.
7 a.m.: Hello and welcome to this live dedicated to the legislative elections.