HALIFAX – The host provinces of the next world junior hockey championship are demanding that Hockey Canada sign an anti-harassment policy and ensure it oversees training to prevent sexual assault and harassment.
The governments of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick confirm that they have asked the sport’s national governing body to ensure that all of its staff and players undergo training before the tournament begins on December 26.
Hockey Canada says it announced in July that all national team players, coaches and staff would undergo sexual violence and consent training.
The organization says in an email that it also adopted a universal code of conduct last month that all players and staff must sign, adding that any violation could result in a lifetime ban from its programs.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston said Hockey Canada is reviewing terms under an agreement with his province and expects to hear back in the coming days.
New Brunswick says it is also discussing with the organization ways to raise funds through the sale of raffle tickets to support organizations working to prevent sexual violence in sport.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on November 25, 2022.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION