Saskatchewan. Suspect who stabbed may no longer be in Regina: RPS police chief

[ad_1]

Regina Police Chief Evan Bray announced that Myles Sanderson may no longer be in Regina during an update to the public on Tuesday evening.

« Today we received information that leads us to believe that he may no longer be in this community, » Bray said in the statement posted to Twitter. « As a result, investigations are continuing and although his whereabouts are unknown, we are still looking not only in the city of Regina but also across the province. »

Saskatchewan police previously reported a possible sighting of Myles Sanderson on James Smith’s Cree Nation had not been verified and the suspect in a series of knife attacks remains at large.

Earlier Tuesday, the RCMP issued an update to its dangerous person alert saying investigators had received reports of a possible sighting of Sanderson in the community. Residents have been instructed to take shelter or shelter in place.

“Normally we would probably take a little longer to determine the reliability of this information – but given that there have been several calls, and what we are currently facing and the carnage that Myles Sanderson has already inflicted on this community, we have taken steps to issue another dangerous person alert,” RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore told CTV News.

Shortly after the directive to seek refuge was issued, a CTV News reporter at the scene witnessed what appeared to be a tactical team in the community.

Blackmore said Mounties « emptied » several homes where he was believed to have been sighted. RCMP also conducted aerial and ground searches, Blackmore said.

The intensive search for Damien Sanderson, 31, and Myles Sanderson, 30, began early Sunday morning following several reports of stabbings in the James Smith Cree Nation, about 200 kilometers to the northeast of Saskatoon. The attacks left 10 dead and 19 injured.

On Monday afternoon, RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said forensic investigators have now identified a body found on the First Nation as Damien.

RCMP vehicles are seen on James Smith Cree Nation on Sept. 6, 2022. (Jill Macyshon/CTV News)

A 77-year-old man was also fatally attacked in the community of Weldon, Saskatchewan, about 30 kilometers southwest of the First Nation.

Police believe Myles may have been spotted in Regina just before noon on Sunday. It is believed he was traveling in a black Nissan Rogue with Saskatchewan license plate 119 MPI.

Myles is just over six feet tall and weighs 240 pounds, according to police. RCMP believe he may be injured and may seek medical attention.

At a Monday press conference, Blackmore said Myles was known to police.

According to a Parole Board of Canada document, Sanderson has a history of violent offenses, including a 2017 incident where he forced an accomplice to rob a fast food restaurant by hitting him in the head with a gun. and trampling it. Sanderson observed the flight from outside, according to the document.

In 2018, while drinking in a house, Sanderson stabbed two people with a fork and attacked a passing man, beating him unconscious.

POSSIBLE MEETING WITH A SUSPECT

Weldon resident Doreen Lees, 89, told The Canadian Press that she and her daughter were approached on Sunday morning by a man who said he was injured and needed help.

« He had a big jacket over his face. We asked for his name and he kind of mumbled his name twice and we still couldn’t get it, » Lees said.

Lees said the man fled after his daughter offered to call for help.

In a video posted to Twitter late Monday night, Regina Police Chief Evan Bray acknowledged how much time has passed since the alleged sighting.

« This information that put him in our community is now more than a day old and we haven’t had any new information to determine that it’s no longer factual, » Bray said.

« We are therefore continuing to operate on the assumption that he is here until we get information indicating otherwise. »

Bray took the opportunity to address parents who might be worried about sending their children to school with Myles still at large.

“There were very violent incidents that happened [Sunday] in northern Saskatchewan. However, since then there has been no more violence, » Bray said.

« There has been no repeat of this violence in our community and there is no indication that a threat of violence is occurring in our city. »

However, Bray said Myles should always be considered armed and dangerous.

“We ask our community to continue to be very aware of your surroundings and to report anything unusual or any information,” Bray said.

Earlier today, before Damien was confirmed dead, the RCMP charged the two men.

Myles faces three counts of first degree murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of breaking and entering.

Damien has been charged with one count of first degree murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of breaking and entering.

An interprovincial dangerous person alert covering Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba remained in effect Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) said of 17 people with stab wounds, 10 remain hospitalized.

« Three patients are in critical condition, seven are in stable condition and, as of Sunday, seven people have been released, » the SHA statement said.

On Sunday morning, the SHA moved to a « code orange » process to accept high numbers of critical patients.

A similar action was taken in response to the Humboldt Broncos bus crash in 2018 which killed 16 people and injured 13 others.

“In addition to continuing to provide necessary medical care to those affected, SHA is working to deploy mental health resources for affected families, communities, physicians and staff,” SHA said.

INTERNATIONAL REACTION

Reactions continued to pour in after the tragedy made international headlines.

On Tuesday, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre commented on the series of stabbings, calling it « insane ».

« We stand with Canada, our ally and neighbor and all those affected by this tragedy and condemn this senseless violence, » said Jean-Pierre.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also expressed their condolences.

« The attacks on the Cree Nation of James Smith and Weldon, Saskatchewan are truly heartbreaking, » said a tweet from Prince William and Kate Middleton’s joint account.

« Catherine and I send our best wishes to the people of Canada. »

–This is a developing story. More details to come.

[ad_2]
ctvnews

Back to top button