Skip to content
Russian players will be banned from competing at Wimbledon: report


Content of the article

Russian players will not be allowed to compete at Wimbledon this year due to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine, according to a report on sports industry news site Sportico on Tuesday.

Content of the article

Earlier this month, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), which organizes the grass-court Grand Slam, said it was in talks with the UK government about bringing in players from Russia and Belarus.

Organizers said they plan to announce a decision in mid-May before the entry deadline for the June 27-July 10 tournament.

The AELTC did not immediately respond to request for comment on the report.

A ban on Russian players would prevent world number two Daniil Medvedev and eighth-ranked Andrey Rublev from participating in the men’s draw. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova is 15th in the women’s ranking.

The report says it’s unclear whether players from Belarus would also be banned. Belarus is a key staging area for the invasion, which Russia calls a “special operation”.

We apologize, but this video failed to load.

Tennis governing bodies banned Russia and Belarus from international team competitions after the invasion. Individual players are allowed to tour, but not under their country’s name or flag.

Britain’s sports minister Nigel Huddleston said last month he would not be comfortable with a “Russian athlete flying the Russian flag” winning Wimbledon in London.


torontosun