Phil Mickelson among names to launch legal action against PGA
Six-time Major winner Phil Mickelson is among 11 players associated with the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series to have taken legal action against the PGA over their decision to suspend the rogue stars is damaging their careers.
The group, which also includes Bryson DeChambeau and Ian Poulter, filed a lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco on Wednesday seeking compensation for what it claims was the PGA’s display of anti-competitive behavior.
“The conduct of the Tour serves no purpose other than to cause harm to players and prevent the entry of the first significant competitive threat the Tour has faced in decades.“, we read in the lawsuit.
“The purpose of this action is to strike down anti-competitive PGA Tour rules and practices that prevent these independent golfers from playing when and where they choose..”
The PGA reacted vitriolally to the cascade of players tempted by large financial offers to participate in LIV Golf events; a scenario that the PGA says threatens the future of the sport and destroys its accepted structure.
They announced suspensions and fines for players who joined the breakaway league, led by golf veteran Greg Norman.
However, some top golfers have resisted the urge, including Tiger Woods, who reportedly turned down $700-700 million to partner with LIV Golf.
It made its eastern US debut last week with an event at Donald Trump’s National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey – despite furious protests from families who lost loved ones in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. September in New York, a tragedy previously blamed by Trump on Saudi Arabia. Arabia.
If Mickelson and his fellow defectors succeed in challenging their suspension, it could lead to further problems, said former Ryder Cup captain Davis Love.
“If the guys at LIV sue and are allowed to play on the PGA Tour, players are fed up,” he said.
“We understand that we make the rules for the PGA Tour and the commissioner enforces our rules and we don’t want those guys playing and coming and picking our tournaments.
“We have all the cards in hand. We tell the FTC [Federal Trade Commission] and in Washington, ‘No, we support the rules. We don’t want these guys playing. We don’t care what the courts say.”
“The nuclear option is to say ‘Well, if they have to play in our events, we just won’t play.‘.”
Love had previously expressed concern over the introduction of LIV events into the golf calendar, but admits he was “totally false” to say that it would not take off.
READ MORE: Saudi golf league boss confirms staggering amount Woods dismissed
But if the players who chased Saudi paydays want a fight, Love says he’ll be happy to give it to them – noting that the suspensions imposed on Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed make them ineligible to play for United led by Love. United States team in the President’s Cup in September.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen from now on, but I know it’s going to be a fight and the players are more and more united against it.”