Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have hired a former Secret Service agent who protected former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush.
Christopher Sanchez was pictured with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they attended the Invictus Games in the Netherlands this week.
Sanchez left the Secret Service in 2013 and works as vice president of private security firm TorchStone Global.
He spoke openly about his time serving both presidents, saying in a 2020 podcast interview, “Secret Service agents are the best in the world at what we do.
He added: “I spent five years on the details of the president and I was lucky to be there during a transition, so I spent the last two and a half years with President Bush and the first two years and a half years of President Obama. I was just grateful to be a part of it.
The hiring comes after Harry has fought for increased security since he and Markle quit royal duties and moved to California in 2020.
In January, Harry asked the UK government to provide security for him while he visited the UK, which he said he would pay for. And the following month he shared in a statement through his lawyers that he “doesn’t feel safe”.
Despite having his own private security team, Harry expressed concern that even more protection was needed.
“The UK will always be Prince Harry’s home and a country where he wants his wife and children to be safe. With the lack of police protection, the personal risk is too great,” argued his lawyers.
They have since avoided returning to the UK due to lack of security and even missed the late Prince Philip’s memorial service over the debacle.
Before heading to the Invictus Games, Meghan and Harry made a stop at Windsor Castle to visit Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles for the first time in over two years.
They left their two children, Archie, 2, and Lilibet, 10 months – whom the Queen has still never met in person – at home.
“We can confirm that they have visited the Duke’s grandmother, as we have previously said he hoped to do,” their spokesperson said. “They stopped in the UK on their way to The Hague to watch the Invictus Games.”
Harry opened up about his reunion with the Queen, telling the BBC on Monday: ‘She had a lot of messages for Team UK, which I’ve passed on to most of them already. So it was great to see her. I’m sure she would love to be here if she could.
Meanwhile, Markle gushed about her hubby at the Invictus Games while introducing him to the crowd.
“I couldn’t love and respect him more and I know you all feel the same way,” the former ‘Suits’ star said on Saturday night. “He is the founder of the Invictus Games and the father of our two little ones, Archie and Lilibet. Please welcome my amazing husband, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex.
The reception at the Invictus Games, which Harry founded for wounded and ill service members in 2014, is said to have been filmed for an upcoming Netflix documentary.