Prince Andrew stripped of military roles, royal sponsorships in sexual assault trial
LONDON — Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, has relinquished his military titles and royal charities, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday, a scathing rebuke from the British Royal Family a day after a New York federal judge has cleared a sexual abuse case against him to go ahead.
The palace said Andrew, 61, “will continue to hold no public office and will defend this case as a private citizen.” He was accused by Virginia Giuffre of raping her as a teenager – a charge he denies – during a period in which he was friends with the late financier and convicted sexual predator, Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew had already been largely banned from public life. But he continued to hold a series of honorary military titles, prompting protests from former members of those units, given the legal burdens on him.
Buckingham Palace also said Andrew, also known as the Duke of York, “would no longer use the ‘His Royal Highness’ style in any official capacity,” a concession which was requested from his nephew, Prince Harry, when he and his wife, Meghan, stepped down from royal duties and moved to the United States in 2020.