New this week: « The Pale Blue Eye », Iggy Pop and « The Menu »
Here’s a curated collection from the Associated Press’ entertainment journalists of what’s coming to TV, streaming services and music platforms this week.
– Christian Bale reunites with filmmaker Scott Cooper, who directed him in ‘Hostiles’ and ‘Out of the Furnace,’ for ‘The Pale Blue Eye,’ a murder mystery set in 1830 New York City. This time, Bale plays a detective investigating a series of murders alongside a young Edgar Allen Poe (played by « Harry Potter » and « The Queen’s Gambit » alum Harry Melling). In his review for The Associated Press, Mark Kennedy wrote that « a very satisfying and unexpected ending » awaits those who can handle the chill of the film, which should be easier when it’s available in your living room, on Netflix. , Thursday.
– If you haven’t had enough rich food or content about super-rich people over the holidays, HBO Max has a treat in store for you with « The Menu, » streaming Mondays. Ralph Fiennes plays a celebrity chef at a highly exclusive restaurant where things take a decidedly sinister turn for his various patrons, including a foodie fanboy (Nicolas Hoult) and his skeptical date (Anya Taylor-Joy), a movie star (John Leguizamo ) and a food critic (Janet McTeer). AP Film Writer Jake Coyle, in his review, wrote that the screenwriters « cook up an amuse-bouche of commentary on the dynamics of class and the service industry in an increasingly lopsided and gory game. »
— AP Screenwriter Lindsey Bahr
– Start the year off right with a pop – from Iggy Pop. « Every Loser », his latest album released on Friday January 6, includes the wild « Frenzy » and the very catchy « Strung Out Johnny ». Pop is joined on the album by members of Blink 182 (Travis Barker), Foo Fighters (Taylor Hawkins), Guns N’ Roses (Duff McKagan), Jane’s Addiction (Chris Chaney, Dave Navarro, Eric Avery), Pearl Jam ( Josh Klinghoffer, Stone Gossard) and Red Hot Chili Peppers (Klinghoffer, Chad Smith). The result is 11 songs, his team says, « by a man who refused to gently step into that good night. »
– Rising country singer-songwriter Brandon Ratcliff drops the album “Tale of Two Towns” on Friday, January 6, with a truly charming and melancholy title track that explores the push-pull of staying or escaping the home. “Are you braver to leave or to stay? » he asks. Other singles include « Drove Me Country », « Someone Who Believes In You » and « Always Moving On », revealing an elusive and exciting artist. Ratcliff has toured with Kelsea Ballerini, Brett Young and Keith Urban, and in 2020 was named to Pandora’s Ones to Watch list and topped Rolling Stone’s All-Genre Breakthrough Artist chart. He is the son of multiple Grammy Award winner Suzanne Cox.
— Entertainment writer Mark Kennedy
– It wasn’t until Lifetime’s 2019 docuseries, « Surviving R. Kelly, » that the criminal investigations of the disgraced singer were kicked into high gear. Earlier this year, Kelly was sentenced to 30 years in prison where a jury in New York found him guilty of racketeering and sex trafficking. A second trial in Chicago ended on September 14 with his conviction for producing child pornography and inciting sex with girls. Lifetime will wrap up its coverage of R. Kelly’s victims with « Surviving R. Kelly: The Final Chapter, » featuring a two-night special, premiering Monday and Tuesday.
– A new Netflix docuseries delves into the rise and fall of financier Bernie Madoff, who was behind the biggest Ponzi scheme in history and died in prison in 2021. The series features clips from the Madoff’s court depositions and interviews with people, including investigators, his former employees and victims. The four episodes of « Madoff: The Monster of Wall Street » air Wednesday on the streamer.
– Sixty performers from previous seasons of « America’s Got Talent » and other « Got Talent » iterations around the world will compete in « America’s Got Talent: All-Stars. » Simon Cowell, Howie Mandel and Heidi Klum return as judges with Terry Crews as host starting Monday on NBC.
Find AP’s entertainment coverage here: https://apnews.com/apf-entertainment.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION