Musk reassures Twitter staff over job cuts – media – Reuters
The billionaire visited Twitter’s main office ahead of a planned deal to buy the platform
Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has denied reports he plans to implement sweeping workforce reductions on Twitter as he prepares to strike a $44 billion deal to buy the site, according to a company employee and other sources cited in the media.
After visiting Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters on Wednesday, Musk was reportedly « swarming with about 40 people » while ordering coffee from a nearby store, an anonymous Twitter employee told Insider. Asked about a recent Washington Post report that he planned to lay off 75% of the site’s staff, Musk said he « I didn’t know where that number came from. »
The contractor took to social media shortly after his stop at the Twitter office, sharing a video of himself carrying what appeared to be a bathroom sink in the building’s main hall while adding the caption « Enter Twitter Headquarters – let him in! »
Hours later, he followed up the visual pun with a more conventional Publish for a future owner, saying he was « Meet a lot of cool people on Twitter today! »
One of the world’s richest men, Musk is expected to close the deal to buy the platform as soon as Friday, after months of wrangling with Twitter over a dispute over the number of bots and spam accounts on the website. Twitter had also filed a lawsuit after Musk appeared to backtrack on his original offer, seeking to force him to complete the purchase. However, the company ended the lawsuit earlier this month on the condition that Musk buy the platform by October 28, with a judge saying a lawsuit would be filed against him if he failed to comply with the law. OK.
Having already changed his personal Twitter bio to « Chief Twit » Musk is expected to officially address company staff for the first time on Friday, according to sources cited by Bloomberg.
The Washington Post report alleging Musk was planning a mass elimination of 7,500 Twitter employees relied on « corporate documents and interviews with people familiar with the company’s deliberations », but did not cite any sources in the record. Musk and Twitter declined to comment on the report, although the billionaire recently blasted the Post as « hypocrites » following a series of critical articles about him.
You can share this story on social media: