Male in central Saskatchewan. Amber Alert facing new charge: Sask. RCMP

RCMP have laid an additional charge against a Saskatchewan man who was at the center of an Amber Alert last month.

Benjamin Martin Moore faces a single count of violating a weapons restraining order, after investigators located and seized three crossbows, along with several arrows and arrowheads, from Moore’s residence , Saskatchewan RCMP said in a news release on Friday.

The weapons were found while Shaunavon RCMP were executing a search warrant at Moore’s home on Aug. 11, according to the police news release. He was charged on August 26.

Moore already faces a charge of failing to report information to a registration center within seven days of changing residence, which is required by the Sex Offender Information Registration Act.

The 50-year-old has a history of child sex offences, RCMP said.

He was at the center of an Amber Alert issued on August 8, after police attended the family home in Eastend, Saskatchewan, to find Moore, who was under investigation by social services. They couldn’t find him, his common-law wife or his two children.

A warrant was then issued for his arrest.

In an Aug. 11 news release, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said the group illegally crossed the Montana border through a barbed wire fence near the Turner Port of Entry. It is not known when this happened.

U.S. Customs officers patrolling the international border noticed the cut fence and notified the RCMP, according to the news release.

Police eventually found the group at Glencoe Camp Resort in the town of Sturgis, SD, more than 930 kilometers from their home in Eastend.

The campers previously told CBC News that Moore identified himself as security at the resort, which at the time hosted many people attending the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Moore and her common-law husband were arrested and are still being held in the United States.

RCMP said Friday that Moore will face charges in Canada after being released in the United States.

Extradition is not being considered at this time as investigations on both sides of the border are still ongoing, the RCMP said.

Police said due to confidentiality restrictions they could not provide much information about the two children except to confirm they were safe and receiving help.


Back to top button