Insigne misses the penalty as Toronto FC play to a goalless draw with the New England Revolution

Toronto FC picked up a rare road point with a 0-0 draw against the New England Revolution in MLS on Saturday, but were denied victory when Djordje Petrovic stopped Italian star Lorenzo Insigne from the penalty spot at the 81st minute.

The six-foot-four Serbian keeper dove to his right, putting a hand on the ball.

Toronto (6-12-5) remains winless away in the league this season (0-7-4), with just four points out of a possible 33. On a positive note, it was a second straight clean sheet for Toronto that ended a 29-game league clean streak when it shut out Charlotte 4-0 last Saturday.

New England (6-7-9) saw their winless streak increase to six (0-2-4) while extending their home unbeaten streak to eight games (3-0-5). The Revs went six or more consecutive games (0-6-3) without a win from July to September 2018 under former coach Brad Friedel.

Referee Ismir Pekmic pointed the penalty spot in the 75th minute after Toronto substitute Deandre Kerr went down as Matt Polster tried to collect the ball just inside the box. Insigne waited to kick as Canadian video assistant referee Carol Anne Chenard controlled the play.

Pekmic was called up to the pitch monitor but didn’t change his mind, much to New England’s annoyance.

CF Montreal, New York City FC stingy in a 0-0 draw

The defense dominated in a battle of two powerful offenses on Saturday as CF Montreal and New York City FC drew scoreless at Stade Saputo.

For two of the five most successful teams in Major League Soccer, the first half was remarkably cautious.

Montreal (11-8-3) has carved out the lion’s share of ball possession with New York (12-4-6) seemingly more than happy to sit in a low block and wait for a counter -offensive.

The first chance went to Montreal just after the 10th minute. A dangerous ball from Samuel Piette crossed the goal and met the foot of Kamal Miller who put it wide.

It took another 30 minutes for a second chance to appear. Lassi Lappalainen found himself in open space and returned the ball to Djordje Mihailovic who forced a superb leg save from New York goalkeeper Sean Johnson.

Montreal started the second half with the same ball dominance, controlling the pace and looking to get Romell Quioto behind New York’s back line.

In the 55th minute, they finally had their chance. Quioto was played and squared it for Mason Toye who couldn’t convert, firing the shot from close range.

New York was perfectly content to see out the rest of the game closing the door defensively and letting Montreal sidestep the defense, doing little to threaten the stalemate.

The crowd also observed a minute’s silence before the start of the match, in honor of former player and assistant coach Jason Di Tullio who died on Friday.

Montreal and New York will now travel to Field and take on the Columbus Crew on August 3 and 6, respectively.

cbc sp

Back to top button