Indian capital tightens restrictions as Omicron drives Covid-19 surge
Tennis star Novak Djokovic admitted on Wednesday that he did not immediately isolate himself after testing positive for Covid-19 last month – but denied knowing he had the virus when attending public events .
In a statement posted to social media, he also apologized for a seemingly false travel claim, saying it was submitted on his behalf by a member of his support staff through “human error.”
Djokovic has been embroiled in controversy since his arrest in Australia last week over a visa and vaccination dispute.
He arrived in Melbourne last week and quickly saw his visa canceled to enter the country without a valid exemption for the country’s vaccination requirement for all arrivals – but won the legal battle on Monday, with a judge ruling that ‘he should be allowed to stay.
But questions persisted about Djokovic’s behavior – in particular, his positive Covid diagnosis last month before he arrived in Melbourne, and the public events he attended at the time.
“I want to talk about the continued disinformation about my activities and my participation in events in December in the run-up to my positive Covid PCR test result,” he said in the statement.
“This is misinformation that needs to be corrected, especially in the interest of alleviating wider community concerns about my presence in Australia, and addressing issues of great hurt and concern to my family.
“I want to stress that I have gone to great lengths to ensure everyone’s safety and my compliance with testing obligations.”
Chronology of the tests: Djokovic said he attended a basketball game in the Serbian capital, Belgrade, on December 14, where many people subsequently tested positive. He showed no symptoms, but was tested on December 16. On December 17, before receiving his official test result, he took a quick test that came back negative and attended a youth tennis awards ceremony – after which he received the official award. positive result, according to the press release.
The next day, December 18, he did a media interview and photoshoot, claiming he continued because “I didn’t want to let the reporter down.” He distanced himself socially and wore a mask except for the photoshoot, he added.
“While I returned home after the interview to isolate myself for the required period, after reflection, it was an error in judgment and I accept that I should have postponed this engagement”, a- he declared.
Read the full story: