Hockey Canada board chairman Michael Brind’Amour is expected to step down with immediate effect, the underfire organization confirmed on Saturday.
Hockey Canada has had its funding frozen by the federal government in Canada, with the country’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also saying he understands why Canadians are “disgusted” with the main authority of their national sport.
These developments came about following news of an alleged gang sexual assault in London, Ontario in 2018 involving eight members of Canada’s World Junior Team, as well as the discovery of a settlement at the amicable agreement concluded in relation to the incident. and a special legal fund that was created to pay uninsured liabilities, including sexual abuse claims.
Brind’Amour was due to step down in November when his tenure, which began in 2018, ended.
In a statement, however, he said there was “no need to wait for a new era” with immediate action “essential to address the significant challenges facing our organization and our sport”.
Brind’Amour also referred to a governance review that will be led by former Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell and will see him determine whether Hockey Canada acted improperly by using player registration fees to settle claims. of sexual assault.
He said he is reassured that Cromwell has agreed to lead the review, which will help Hockey Canada “make the necessary changes” and was convinced of his recommendations “will guide the organization into a future of desired change”.
So far, Hockey Canada CEO Scott Smith has insisted he will not step down and intends to lead a cultural change in Canadian hockey.
Additionally, Hockey Canada is also committed to creating a new plan moving forward that breaks the code of silence and eliminates toxic behavior in sport while implementing a system for tracking and reporting complaints. ‘misconduct.
You can share this story on social media: