Funeral arrangements set for slain EMT Alison Russo-Elling

Funeral arrangements have been made for veteran FDNY EMT Alison Russo-Elling, who was stabbed to death in an unprovoked attack in Queens on Thursday.

The wake for the 61-year-old first responder will be held Monday and Tuesday at Commack Abbey Funeral Home in Commack, according to the Long Island Funeral Home’s website.

Russo-Elling’s funeral will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the Tilles Center, located at 720 Northern Boulevard in Brookville on the LIU Post campus. She will then be cremated in a private ceremony.

The 25-year-old FDNY veteran and 9/11 responder was on duty and had walked half a block from her unit to get something to eat when she was stabbed nearly 20 times near 20th Avenue and from 41st Street in Astoria around 2:20 p.m. Thursday.

Suspect Peter Zisopoulos, 34, was shortly after the horrific attack after barricading himself in his nearby apartment, cops said.

Russo-Elling was fatally stabbed in an unprovoked attack in Astoria on Thursday afternoon.

He was charged Friday with murder and possession of a weapon.

According to police sources and a disturbing video of the incident, Zisopoulos allegedly threw Russo-Elling to the ground, mounted her and then stabbed her repeatedly.

A passing witness on a scooter confronted the bully, but he growled, « Fk you, fk you! » before moving away from the victim and charging at the man while still clutching the bloody knife, police sources said.

Zisopoulos fled the scene, leaving Russo-Elling unresponsive on the ground, according to sources and the video.

The body of EMS Lt. Alison Russo-Elling has been moved to a funeral home in Commack, Long Island.
Local Commack officials hoisted an American flag outside the Commack Abbey funeral parlor for Russo-Elling.

Russo-Elling, described by her union as ‘the sweetest, kindest person you’ve ever met’, was only six or seven months away from retirement, local union president Vincent Variale said. 3621, to journalists in front of the hospital where the paramedic succumbed to his injuries.

She joined the FDNY as an EMT in March 1998 and was promoted to paramedic in 2002 before becoming a lieutenant in 2016.


Back to top button