Fire in the Saint-Sauveur district in Quebec


A fire that seems to have been caused accidentally, for the moment, required the intervention of about fifty firefighters to put out the flames and evacuate about ten residents.

The fire started around 10:45 a.m., in a building with several apartments located at 470 rue Victoria, in the Saint-Sauveur district, in Quebec. Witnesses to the scene alerted the authorities.

The flames would have originated on the second floor, at the back of the building, before spreading to the attic, explains Alexandre Lajoie, spokesperson for the Fire Protection Service of the City of Quebec (SPCIQ).

Quickly, the alarms followed one another because of the risk of spreading to neighboring buildings. A third alarm was finally necessary, allowing the deployment of about fifty firefighters.

A dozen people living in five apartments had to be evacuated. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. However, they will not be able to return to their homes.

“The Fire Department is on site to find out the cause of the blaze, but nothing indicates for the moment that it would be criminal,” says Mr. Lajoie.

Around 12 p.m., the bulk of the flames had gone down and the situation was considered under control.




journaldequebec

Back to top button