Skip to content
Edward Lake Tasered, arrested by police before his death

Edward Lake, the father of three children killed by a drunk driver in 2015, was Tasered and arrested by Peel Police before his death.

Peel Regional Police Const. Heather Cannon confirmed to CP24 on Wednesday night that officers interacted with Lake at her home on Sunday. In an emailed statement, Cannon said police were called to Lake’s residence “to investigate an altercation.”

Police arrived and were involved in a separate “altercation” with Lake, resulting in the deployment of a Taser, Cannon said.

He was later arrested and charged with one count of assault at the scene. Cannon said Lake was then taken to the hospital, where he was assessed and released.

“Officers have notified Victim Services of the incident, and Mr. Lake has also been provided with contact information,” Cannon added.

“Peel Regional Police had no further interaction with Mr. Lake once he was taken to hospital.”

A day after the incident, Lake was pronounced dead. Several news outlets said he committed suicide, but CP24 did not independently verify them.

Lake’s children – Daniel, Harrison and Milagros Neville-Lake – were killed when drunk driver Marco Muzzo ran through a stop sign and collided with their vehicle in Vaughan. The children’s grandfather, Gary Neville, also died in the crash.

Muzzo was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2016. He was granted full parole in February 2021.

“I’m angry that my kids never had the chance to grow up,” Lake said during Muzzo’s parole hearing. “I wake up crying everyday. It’s scary when you want a hug from your kids and they’re not there.”

The children’s mother tweeted about Lake’s death on Monday evening, saying, “My children’s father, Edward Lake, has joined our children so they can play together, forever.”

Peel Police said they had already visited Lake’s home, but were unable to share details for privacy reasons.

“We are aware of and saddened by the tragic death of Mr. Lake, as well as the tragic circumstances that this family has faced,” Cannon said.

“While there is no indication that the call was directly related to mental health, the officers who attended were appropriately briefed on Mr. Lake’s history and previous interactions,” said she added, noting that due to the nature of the call, the Crisis Outreach and Support Team or Mobile Crisis Rapid Response Team did not respond.

Meanwhile, after Lake’s death, there have been new calls for organizations that have received donations from Muzzo’s family to remove the names of their facilities.

On Tuesday, two hospitals declined to remove the Muzzo name, with one citing the signage “acknowledges the family’s long history of philanthropy, including many generous donations.”