Skip to content
Dodgers suspended pitcher Bauer’s appeal hearing set to begin May 23: report


Trevor Bauer’s arbitration appeal over his unprecedented two-year suspension under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy is set to begin May 23, a person familiar with the Associated Press told The Associated Press. hearing.

The person spoke on Friday on condition of anonymity because the date has not been announced.

The appeal will be heard by a three-person panel chaired by independent arbitrator Martin Scheinman. It will include a representative from MLB and a representative from the players’ association.

Bauer was suspended by commissioner Rob Manfred on April 29, a penalty that, if left unchanged, will cost the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher just over US$60 million on his three-year, $102 million contract. . Bauer immediately said he would challenge it.

A San Diego woman, whom the pitcher met on social media, alleged that Bauer beat and sexually assaulted her last year. She later applied for but was denied a restraining order. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman’s charges beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bauer, who hasn’t played since the allegations surfaced last summer and MLB began investigating, has repeatedly said everything that happened between the two was consensual.

Lawsuit says damage to Bauer ‘extreme’

Bauer also sued the woman in federal court, a decision that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to press charges against him.

The lawsuit said ‘the damage done to Mr Bauer was extreme’ after the woman alleged he choked her unconscious, repeatedly punched her and had sex anal sex with her without her consent in two sexual encounters last year.

The pitcher said the pair had rough sex at his Pasadena home at his suggestion and followed guidelines they agreed to beforehand. Each encounter ended in pleasantries and she spent the night, he said.

Two Ohio women also accused him of sexual misconduct.

Representatives for Bauer said the Ohio first wife’s allegation was “categorically false.” Bauer said he had a “casual and totally consensual sexual relationship from 2013 to 2018” with the other woman from Ohio and that none of their encounters “have ever involved a single non-consensual act, yet. less illegal”.

After winning his first Cy Young with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed to join his hometown Dodgers. He did not pitch after June 29 after being placed on administrative leave and finished with an 8-2 record and a 2.59 ERA in 17 appearances.


cbc sp