Carbon monoxide poisoning: At least five hospitalizations in PEI

CHARLOTTETOWN — A hospital in Prince Edward Island reports that it is currently treating between five and 10 patients with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown launched a code orange around 6 p.m. Tuesday, which triggers a special procedure for the rapid management of more urgent cases. The special measure, however, ended about an hour later.

In a statement, the province’s public health authorities thanked the first responders for their work, but did not provide further details.

A hospital spokeswoman said between five and 10 patients are currently hospitalized with the problem, but she could not specify which areas the affected people came from.

Since the passage of post-tropical storm Fiona, many residents of Prince Edward Island have turned to generators for access to power.

When used improperly, generators can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Canadian Red Cross, especially if installed indoors, or even if placed outdoors, but too close to the windows.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and occurs when a person breathes in too much of this odorless gas.

The province’s acting director of public safety said on Sunday that preliminary findings suggested a death over the weekend was linked to the use of a generator, but she did not provide further details. .

Health authorities in the province did not immediately confirm that the suspected cases of poisonings were linked to the use of generators.

(function(d, s, id){ var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;} js = d.createElement(s); = id; js.src = ""; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));


Back to top button