Canadian men’s water polo team withdraws from world championships due to COVID-19
The Canadian men’s water polo team withdrew from the World Aquatic Championships in Hungary following a new positive COVID-19 test on Friday.
The team’s Thursday match against Italy had previously been postponed to Friday, then called off entirely, due to earlier cases of the virus. A scheduled match against South Africa on Saturday has also been cancelled.
“This decision has been made to ensure and safeguard the short and long term health, safety and well-being of participants, which always remains Water Polo Canada’s top priority,” Water Polo Canada wrote. in a statement provided to CBC Sports. .
Canada lost their opening match 19-2 to Spain, but FINA – the governing body for aquatics sports – said it would not be considered.
It is not known which members of the team have tested positive.
Earlier on Friday, FINA said the team could return to play in the ranking brackets on Monday, barring further positive tests and provided the affected athletes’ isolation period is over.
However, with no medals on the line, Water Polo Canada decided to pull out of the tournament altogether.