5 Connecticut officers charged for transporting Randy Cox, who became partially paralyzed in a police van


Five police officers have been arrested and charged in connection with the transportation incident that left a man paralyzed from the chest down, according to a press release released Monday by the New Haven, Connecticut, state attorney’s office.

Randy Cox, 36, was arrested June 19 on suspicion of illegal possession of a handgun. Video of his arrest shows him in a police transport van that had a long bench, but no seat belts. The driver of the van came to a sudden stop, and the video showed a handcuffed Cox sliding down the bench, head-first into the back wall of the van.

The officers were charged with second-degree reckless endangerment in violation of Connecticut’s general statutes and cruelty to persons in violation of Connecticut’s general statutes, according to the statement.

“According to the arrest warrant affidavits, the charges are the result of an investigation by the Connecticut State Police Central District Major Crimes Squad,” the statement said, adding that the prosecutor State, John P. Doyle Jr., has asked the squad to conduct a criminal investigation. after being informed of Cox’s injuries.

The arrests are based on Doyle’s independent review of « extensive investigative materials detailing Mr. Cox’s arrest through to his arrival at the detention center and his subsequent transportation to a medical facility, » the statement said.

Ben Crump, civil rights lawyer, held a press conference on Tuesday saying that « Cox’s family is growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of accountability all around, while Randy lies in bed and struggles to get things done. the most basic things in life.

The five officers involved in the incident have been released on $25,000 bail and are due in court on Dec. 8, the statement said. The offices were previously on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

CNN contacted the New Haven State’s Attorney’s Office to obtain court documents related to the case.

Police footage shows Cox repeatedly asking for help, saying he can’t move and thinks his neck is broken.

When he arrives at a detention center, the officers tell him to sit down or get up from the floor of the van.

Cox again says he can’t move.

« You don’t even try, » said an officer.

The video also shows an officer telling Cox he’s had too much to drink and needs to sit down.

Eventually, officers lift Cox and put him in a wheelchair. Cox begins to fall out of the wheelchair when two officers appear to hold him back.

After Cox was treated at the jail, the video shows him appearing to partially slide out of the wheelchair seat.

The video shows officers dragging him from the wheelchair and across the floor into a holding cell before bracing him against a bed.

As the last officer in the cell walks away, Cox falls to the ground.

« What happened to Mr. Cox was just terrible and totally unacceptable, » New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said in June. « This will not be tolerated in the New Haven Police Department. »

Cox suffered a severe neck and spinal injury, ultimately leaving him paralyzed from the chest down, according to civil rights attorney Ben Crump.

As a result of his injuries, Connecticut city officials in July announced a series of police training reforms and requirements, including mandating the use of seatbelts when transporting prisoners .

A federal civil lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Connecticut on September 27 on behalf of Cox. The lawsuit alleges various claims, including negligence, exceeding the speed limit, recklessness and failure to have proper restraints in the transport wagon, as well as claims against individual officers, including the excessive use of force and failure to provide medical assistance, co-counsel RJ Weber said. in September.

“There is no amount of money in damages that could compensate this man for the injuries he has suffered, for the injuries he has suffered…and the pain he has to endure physically, and especially mentally, for the rest of his god given life,” Weber said at the time.

cnn en2fr2en

Back to top button